Squirrel Scouts (age 4 – 5)
Squirrel Scouts meet in Dray’s all and enjoy games, crafts, stories and lots of fun under the guidance of an adult Leadership team. Squirrels are the youngest section of the scout movement exploring scouts for four and five year olds
Our pilots showed that working with younger children opens up new opportunities for adults (especially parents) to try volunteering with Scouts. New volunteers have also shown an interest in supporting Scouts beyond the pilots and across different roles.
We tested three different models (family-led, partner-led and Scout-led) through the pilots to understand the best delivery model. They all ran the same programme, which combined the best of Scouts with what we (and the experts) know about young children’s needs.
Each badge is packed with wow and wonder, perfect for anyone who’s ever asked ‘Why?’ (or ‘Why not?’). You’ll tell stories and play games. Get active and explore the outdoors. Become a brilliant builder and a super chef. There’s something for everyone – and that means that there’s something for you.
When designing the badges and activities for Squirrel Scouts, our goal was to create:
• an age-appropriate programme,
• that meets the Theory of Change,
• and is respected by Early Years practitioners,
• without compromising our Scout values,
• which encourages community and home learning,
• and works in areas of deprivation and for diverse ethnic communities.
- Parent’s Guide To Scouts*
- Parent’s Guide To Scouting Abseiling to Zorbing*
- Squirrel Scouts on HQ’s Website*
- Squirrel Scout Uniform*
- Squirrels in Northern Ireland*
Contact the Enquiry Co-ordinator for more details on firstname.lastname@example.org*.
Tel: 0844 414 5687